Simple tomato soup (Copenhagen style)
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a little bit of olive oil
- 2 reduced-salt chicken or vegetable stock cubes
- 2 cans of good quality plum tomatoes
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil
Let's get started 🌿
1. Peel and slice the carrots and celery. Peel and chop the onions and garlic.
2. Heat up a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add all the prepared ingredients and cook for roughly 15 minutes, until soft.
3. Dissolve the stock cubes in a pot adding about 6 1/2 cups of boiling water.
4. Add the stock to the saucepan with canned and fresh tomatoes.
5.Stir and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes with the lid on.
6. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add a little bit of salt and pepper and stir in the basil leaves..
7. Transfer the soup to a blender (in batches if needed) and puree the soup until smooth. Taste and season if necessary. Serve while hot.